Thursday, March 10, 2011

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

So in the middle of the craziness of opening my new salon, doing baby showers, taking photos, decorating the house and all the other things that fill my days... I had been feeling some funny symptoms. I was constantly shaky which I thought was due to drinking caffeine, my heart felt like it was beating out of my chest, I couldn't catch my breath, I was ALWAYS hot and sweating and I kept having horrible panic attacks. I will spare you the details of the other symptoms but with this and still not being able to get pregnant, I finally gave in and got checked out. Well after much testing my results came back. The doctor looked at me and nonchalantly said ... "you have graves' disease". When that statement set in I cried a little. It shouldn't have come as a surprise since my father and grandmother both have and had it. But I was surprised. I mean, I try really hard to be a healthy person. I try to respect this body I was given though I am far from perfect. Graves' for those of you who don't know is an autoimmune disease. My body attacks my thyroid gland making me produce too much of the thyroid hormone which makes me hyperthyroid. If that makes any sense? Apparently this happens in women more than men and although people are predisposed to get it, it is brought on by stress or trauma to the body. Which is why this happens a lot in women in their child bearing years. And the more I thought about it, I remember a few of the symptoms coming on after my miscarriage. Then when I was dealing with the salon stuff it came on like a ton of bricks. So long story semi short, I have chosen to not kill my thyroid gland (much to my drs. disappointment). And even though I have chosen to take the countless number of pills they prescribed, I am trying to keep my body clean. I have gotten off the caffeine, started running again, am trying to stay away from foods that could cause allergies, well basically just trying to be healthier and more respectful of my body. Hopefully at some point I can turn this thing around. Maybe that is wishful thinking but I need to give it my best try before doing anything drastic- like getting rid of my thyroid gland all together. So the moral of this story is to de stress your life. When you feel like flipping out... wait a few seconds to really think if its really worth your health. Take time out for yourself.. go for a walk, take a bath, get a massage, practice yoga, or meditate. Whatever calms you. Try your best to rid your body of unhealthy things. Enjoy your life, your family, your kids... not everyone has that opportunity so cherish it. And most of all keep calm and carry on.

No comments: